Towards making Indian Securities Market - Transparent, Efficient, & Investor friendly by providing safe,
reliable, transparent and trusted record keeping platform for investors to hold and transfer securities
in dematerialized form.
- To hold securities of investors in dematerialised form and facilitate its transfer, while ensuring
safekeeping of securities and protecting interest of investors.
- To provide timely and accurate information to investors with regard to their holding and transfer
of securities held by them.
- To provide the highest standards of investor education, investor awareness and timely services so as to
enhance Investor Protection and create awareness about Investor Rights.
3. Details of business transacted by the Depository and Depository Participant (DP)
A Depository is an organization which holds securities of investors in electronic form. Depositories provide
services to various market participants - Exchanges, Clearing Corporations, Depository Participants (DPs),
Issuers and Investors in both primary as well as secondary markets. The depository carries out its activities
through its agents which are known as Depository Participants (DP). Details available in the link
4. Description of services provided by the Depository through Depository Participants (DP) to investors
(1) Basic Services
||Brief about the Activity / Service
||Expected Timelines for processing by the DP after receipt of proper documents
||Dematerialization of securities
||Rematerialization of securities
||Mutual Fund Conversion / Destatementization
||Re-conversion / Restatementisation of Mutual fund units
||Transmission of securities
||Registering pledge request
||Closure of demat account
||Depositories to accept physical DIS for pay-in of securities upto 4 p.m. and DIS in electronic form upto 6 p.m. on T+1 day
(2) Depositories provide special services like pledge, hypothecation, internet based services etc. in addition to their core services and these include
5. Details of Grievance Redressal Mechanism
(1) The Process of investor grievance redressal
||Investor Complaint/ Grievances
||Investor can lodge complaint/ grievance against the Depository/DP in the following ways:
The complaints/ grievances lodged directly with the Depository shall be resolved within 30 days.
- a. Electronic mode -
- i. SCORES (a web based centralized grievance redressal system of SEBI) [https://www.scores.gov.in/scores/Welcome.html]
- ii. Respective Depository’s web portal dedicated for the filing of compliant [https://www.epass.nsdl.com/complaints/websitecomplaints.aspx]
- iii. Emails to designated email IDs of Depository relations[at]nsdl[dot]co[dot]in
||Investor Grievance Redressal Committee of Depository
||If no amicable resolution is arrived, then the Investor has the option to refer the complaint/
grievance to the Grievance Redressal Committee (GRC) of the Depository. Upon receipt of reference,
the GRC will endeavor to resolve the complaint/ grievance by hearing the parties, and examining the
necessary information and documents.
||The Investor may also avail the arbitration mechanism set out in the Byelaws and Business Rules/Operating
Instructions of the Depository in relation to any grievance, or dispute relating to depository services.
The arbitration reference shall be concluded by way of issue of an arbitral award within 4 months from the
date of appointment of arbitrator(s).
(2) For the Multi-level complaint resolution mechanism available at the Depositories
6. Guidance pertaining to special circumstances related to market activities:
Termination of the Depository Participant
||Type of special circumstances
||Timelines for the Activity/ Service
- Depositories to terminate the participation in case a participant no longer
meets the eligibility criteria and/or any other grounds as mentioned in the
bye laws like suspension of trading member by the Stock Exchanges.
- Participant surrenders the participation by its own wish.
|Client will have a right to transfer all its securities to any other Participant
of its choice without any charges for the transfer within 30 days from the date of
intimation by way of letter/email.
7. Dos and Don’ts for Investors
8. Rights of investors
9. Responsibilities of Investors